HOT or NOT

My Life

martes, mayo 13, 2003

Sunday was Mother's Day, as most of you already knew. I drove down to Tijuana to see my mom, and the rest of my family. Big family party, with lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, nieces and nephews, and of course, FOOD! It was an OK day... It's nice to see my cousins and their kids. But I had a really weird conversation with one of my aunts. My parents are divorced, and my mom remarried in 97. I never made an effort to conceal that I disliked my mom's husband. But through the years he's proved to be an OK guy, and seriously, to be able to live with my mom, the guy already wins my props for that. About a year or so ago, we found out he has cancer. He went into therapy and was supposed to be in remission, but recently they found it came back. My aunt (my mom's oldest living sister) took me aside and told me that she had also not liked him in the beginning, but now that things were how they were, she felt bad about it, and had talked to him and made her peace. It kind of took me by surprise because a) I had no idea that I wasn't the only one who had disapproved of my mom's marriage, and b) I never really thought about him dying. Talking to my aunt kind of made me think about that. I still don't LOVE the guy, but he's been nice to my mom, and to my brother and I. I wouldn't want for him to die, mostly because that would leave my mom all alone, and because he has 2 younger daughters, ages 17 and 9. I really hadn't even thought of death as a possibility, and now that I've realized it is, I feel really weird.

Life is weird.