My Life

domingo, noviembre 20, 2005

Mexico, DHL, the lobster, and the tire

So my trip was fun! Friday our flight left at around 3pm PST, we watched The Island, with Scarlett Johansson and Ewan McGregor. I really liked it! Very entertaining movie. We arrived at the airport in Mexico City around 8:30pm CST. We took a cab to the hotel. The cab cost about $25, divided by the 3 of us. It was a really good deal considering there was no line for vans. The regular cabs cost about $15-17, and there was about an hour or more wait for those! So we thought, ok we pay more but we leave NOW and we have a whole van to ourselves :)

We checked into the hotel, and it was like we were royalty. We stayed at Hotel Presidente Intercontinental México. Oh it was beautiful! The bellboy took our luggage to our room, and we went upstairs to freshen up and then went to dinner. We went to a restaurant right in the hotel called Alfredo di Roma, which claims to serve the AUTHENTIC Fettuccine Alfredo, and boy I do not know about it being "the authentic" but it is certainly the BEST I've ever had!! After that we went back to our room, watched some TV and went to bed.

Saturday morning we woke up around 9:30am, so we could take advantage of our free continental breakfast. It was really good, an assortment of fresh fruit, bread and pastries, and some really good quesadillas with ham, and sopes, along with juices and coffee. After breakfast we got ready, and went to 2 museums near the Chapultepec Park: Museo de Arte Moderno, and Museo Nacional de Antropología. It was a lot of fun, even though we didn't have enough time to go through the Antropologia one. You need a whole day for that one!! After that, we went to eat some of the best tacos I've had in my life at El Fogoncito. After eating, we called a cab to take us back at the hotel, and Tere asked the cabbie if he could pick us up a few hours later to take us to the wedding. He would be there at 7pm.

We got ready, and went downstairs. Our cab was waiting there. It was only a 20 min drive to the wedding, but we arrived at the back entrance and the cops told us we had to go around to the front to go in. So, with the horrible downtown traffic there, it took about 45 mins to drive around 2 blocks. We ran into the church, and there were almost no seats left. Tere had to go upstairs and give something to the bride, so Alejandra and I got the last 2 chairs in the back. Tere had to squeeze in a bench a few rows ahead. I estimate about 1/3 of the guests were forced to stand the rest of the service.

After the service ended, we ran into Ali. I hadn't seen her in years! Probably about 4 years. She is so much fun! Anyway, turns out she was staying with her friend N, and N's friend V told Ali that he too was going to the wedding and maybe they could go together? Ali agreed, and when they got to the entrance where they check off your name, HIS was NOT there! But they let him in because he was with Ali. She was SO pissed! A wedding crasher!!! He wanted to sit at our table, but there was no room. So he sat at a table next to us, with a friend of his (who must've told him about the wedding), and that made it harder to ignore him! The whole night he kept bugging Ali to "talk a walk around the room", or go "to a quieter area to talk", yea right! Finally she told him to please stop bugging her, and that he was making her and her friends (us) uncomfortable. So he got it, and left. Thank God.

The wedding was a lot of fun. Lots of dancing, singing, prizes. The bride and her family put on some skits, dressed up, it was so funny. We left the party around 4am, and went to sleep around 5am. The free breakfast ended at 10:30am, so just a couple of hours after we went to sleep, I woke up around 9:45 (no alarm, just randomly). I asked Alejandra and Tere if they would rather sleep in, or go eat, and after some deliberation, we decided to go eat. The food choices this time was lacking, but it was ok. Free is free! After breakfast, we rested a bit more and then got ready and packed. Our flight was leaving at 4:30 CST. We had plenty of time.

At the airport, after checking in and going through security, we went to a restaurant and hung out before our flight. The plane for the way back was different from the one on the way there, so even though we were in the same row, this time we were at the emergency exit. I HATE EMERGENCY EXITS! The seats don't recline, and I had a lovely view of the airplane WING. Boo. At least the movie was entertaining, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I love that movie!!

We arrived in Tijuana around 6PST, and Tere's dad picked us up. Finally got home (mom's), and she drove me back to San Diego. I was soooo tired! So after some (JUST SOME!) unpacking, I went to bed around 10pm.

The next day (11/14) it was back to work! Back to the grind... And because I know you're all dying to know about my DHL story (anyone? Bueller?), here it goes.

The previous Thursday (one day before I left for Mexico City), my coworker V had called me and told me that A had come in to work and she asked him how come all of a sudden he got nervous and weird around me, when I've been working there since August, and he'd never been like that before. Well, what happened was, when he was first training the slow guy R, I guess R mentioned to A that he liked me or something, and A told him I was married. But when he said that, I'm like um, I'm not married! So, back to Thursday (11/10), he answers V with "Ever since I found out she's single, I can't stop thinking about her! I think I'm in love with her!!!". So of course, V calls me immediately and tells me this. And my answer is, "HE HAS A GIRLFRIEND" (he mentioned her a few weeks before, she's like 15 yrs older than him or something). So I'm like, whatever. V gave him my number on Friday (11/11), and he said he'd ask me out for the following week (week of 11/14).

So Monday when I come back to work, DHL comes in for the morning delivery around 11am and I notice there is no A, just the new guy he'd been training the week before with a new guy K. Turns out A is training someone ELSE at some other route. Whatever. So new guy (Ro) and K come and go, but the next day (Tuesday), Ro says to V "all I know is we have a date for Friday", meaning he and V (because they had said that if A asked me out, they would chaperone). I say, well have fun because I don't have any dates. Ro is surprised to hear A hasn't called me. I'm feeling kinda ambivalent by now. Wednesday, morning delivery is made by K and Ro again, and even though pick up isn't until 3pm, I see A come in around 2:20pm. I was very much caught off guard, but don't get excited just yet! He comes to me and goes "Peach or mango?", I'm like huh? "Peach or mango?" I say, I like both pretty equally? He gives me 2 Jamba Juice cups, and says "One for you, and one for your neighbor. I miss you!", before rushing off. I'm a bit speechless, mostly because I had NOT TIME TO SAY ANYTHING, and V is like AWWWWW THIS IS SO SWEET!!!!! Which I have to admit, it was!

Thursday K comes in alone, and says Ro has quit so it's now just him. A is still training someone else. V asks K if he sees A often, and he says, Yea every morning. Hmm? What? And no message for me? Thanks... =\ So Friday, at the afternoon pick up at 3pm, K goes "Hey A says he'll call you tonight". I'm like, Yea I'll believe that when I hear it! K insists, "he just told me a few hrs ago, he wants to call you tonight". Well, ladies and gents. NO PHONE CALLS RECEIVED ON FRIDAY from A (or any day til now). Scoring points with the Jamba Juice, he has lost them by not calling! haha.

And now you're caught up in DHL Adventures.

Saturday (yesterday), I took V and E from work, to the lobster at Puerto Nuevo. As you may know, it is one of my most favorite places to go! Well it was a lot of fun. Except for the fact that the ENTIRE time we were eating, there was this stupid lame band playing for some cholos at the other table. Gross. My brother and his friends decided to leave a bit early, and V, E and I walked around the little stores looking around. Then we walked to the car, and as we are walking I get a bad feeling. I gave the car keys to my brother. And he has already left! AAAHHHHH!!! So I call my mom, and my stepdad dials my brother on his Nextel, and they were already about 10 mins away from home. Oooohhhh!! They had to turn around, DOH! After waiting... and waiting... he finally got there with the keys, and it was time to go back home. My mom drove us back to V's house in Chula Vista, where both E and I had left our cars earlier that day. And as I get ready to go, I notice...

I had a flat tire.

Double DOH!!!! So we call AAA, and we wait. They put in my spare tire, and my mom took the tire to get it patched up in TJ. It was a new tire too! Well, a new used tire. Just got in back in April! Sucks. So today my mom will come and we'll put in the patched tire. Hope it holds up! =s


  • All right. I was a student at San Diego State (Go, Aztecs!), so I am always interested when I run across anyone online who lives in San Diego. But I have to ask--the "Jadzia Dax" handle? Star Trek DS9 fan? ;-)

    By Blogger Andy, at domingo, 20 de noviembre de 2005, 16:50:00 GMT-8  

Publicar un comentario

Links to this post:

Crear un vínculo

<< Home